Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Chocolate Cake with Cocoa Powder


This cake is dense yet crumbly, just the right sweetness. It's simply delish! The original recipe calls for Hershey's Cocoa but I had Nestle's cocoa powder on hand at the time. I adjusted the sugar content a bit because my cocoa powder is already sweetened. Hubby liked it a lot and devoured it in just a few evenings. Since it was quite a hit, I intend to make it for my boy's birthday party, in cupcakes. This recipe derived from here.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups sugar (adjust content if using sweetened cocoa)
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa (I used sweetened cocoa)
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING(recipe follows)
Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F (lower if using convection oven). Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING. 10 to 12 servings.

VARIATIONS:
ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350° F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.

THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.

BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.

CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.

"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

7 comments:

Steph said...

I like how dense it looks, when I make these, they always turn out a little too coarse.

NikiTheo said...

Looks great! I'm always up for trying a new chocolate cake recipe!

Nadia said...

i tried this out and substituted half sugar quantity with brown sugar, i think the sugar is enough for unsweetened cocoa as well. Instead of dense, my cake turned out to be moist light and with plenty of air, i didnt get the results as it looks in pic nevertheless it was good and yummy

Amygabb said...

I baked this for my Mother's birthday party and was congratulated the rest of the night. The cake is fantastically moist and a rich, deep brown from the cocoa. I used brown sugar instead of the white and added 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Also, I dissolved 1 tsp of instant coffee in the boiling water which deepened the chocolate flavor. So good! Yum!

Susan Gardner said...

Fantastic, thank you, I am not a cook or much of a cake eater, my boys loved them as did I,I didn't alter your recipe, I made cup cakes and used home brand cocoa.
Susan

Anonymous said...

dont try to froast it!!! it turns out a mess cause it breaks so easy i even let it cool for like 20 mins!!!! but it may look horrible but it has an amazing taste

Lea said...

This was the best chocolate cake I have ever made! I followed the recipe and the cake turned out super rich and moist! I will be using this recipe again.

Thanks!