Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Pan Seared Halibut Topped with Ginger Scallion & Cilantro

Mother's Day began early for us. We dined out at a local Szechuan restaurant. This place was bustling with Chinese and non-Chinese patrons and energetic waiters taking orders and serving food. We were seated almost immediately and as soon as we placed our orders, the dishes arrived in probably less than 10 minutes. The food was fabulous and we will definitely return to try out more dishes. If you live around here and interested in checking it out, here it is. Since we dined out the evening before Mother's Day, followed by next day brunch at a dim sum restaurant and more pampering. I so deserved it but I couldn't take it anymore. It's not that I don't enjoy being pampered but to me, eating out consecutively is a bit too much. Not that I'm trying to safe hubby a few bucks but I happen to know that morning that at our local market, there are some deals going on for Salmon, Halibut and Ribeye Steaks. All I wanted for dinner was some fresh tasty, Omega3 packed healthy option, FISH. Since hubby and son are Red Meat kinda guys, my mental menu would work out perfect for everyone. Hence the photo posted here, lightly pan seared Halibut drizzled with hot oil over fish. Everyone was happy at the end of the meal and proceeded to watching a nice movie at the comfort of our own couch. Fruit was our dessert.

What you Need:
  • About 1 lb of Halibut (about two pieces)
  • Finely shredded young ginger, about 1 Tbsp, more if you like ginger
  • Chopped fresh cilantro
  • About 2 tsp light soy sauce
  • About 2 Tsbp Olive Oil or Peanut Oil
  • A dash of Sesame (optional)
Let's get Frying:

Clean and dry fish, set on plate. Heat frying pan over medium high, add 1 Tbsp oil. Lower temp to medium, add fish gently into pan. Leave them there and don't disturb for about 10 minutes. At this point, you can browse through a few pages of your favorite magazine, I like Saveur. Or go to the loo. Or chopped up the condiments, that sounds more like it.

Use a thin spatula, slowly insert under the fish. When it's done right, the fish should come off pretty easily, slowly flip over. The fish should have s light brown crust. Again do not disturb the fish for another 10 minutes at medium temp. The trick to tell whether the fish is done, is when clear juice floats up to the top of the fish. Gently and slowly tranfer the fish with the spatula to warm plate/s if you are sharing. Arrange shredded ginger on top of fish, sprinkle some green onions and cilatro over ginger and around the fish, add a dash of sesame or two. Set the plate/s close to the frying pan. At medium temp, add remaining 1 Tbsp of oil into the pan until warm/hot. Drizzle the hot oil over the fish. Sprinkle remaining scallion and cilantro. Serve imediately. I like to eat mine with fragrant Jasmine rice; and if there is leftover, I'd eat it with "Chook" rice soup for breakfast.

7 comments:

DK said...

Hi Audrey, thanks for your generous comment at: http://chefinyou.com/2009/05/rava-upma-uppittu/

Drat! I was going to post a pic of how semolina looked like and last minute changed my mind. Anyways here is the link http://media.photobucket.com/image/semolina/bour3/things%20I%20made%20then%20ate/semolina.jpg.

I will upload the pic later and when I do - will keep you posted :) Hope this helps

My Sensei said...

Great recipe - I'm a sucker for anything Asian-infused! Been trying to eat a piece of fish a week, halibut will be a nice change. Thanks!

Jocelyn said...

Hello Audrey, thanks for dropping by my blog!

I always love steamed fish with ginger, scallion and cilantro. Never really tried pan seared. You gave me ideas. =)

nooschi said...

The fish looks tasty and very healthy. If only I can stop eating out so much...

LK said...

Hi Audrey,

I hope you get this...
Thank you for your comment - good timing, I guess? I'm from Toronto, but for now, my hubby and I are in Columbus, Ohio.
The cookies were definitely aromatic and buttery and complemented the pineapple jam. Do give the recipe a try and let me know how it turns out!

Lakshmi

LK said...

Hi Audrey,
I'm assuming you're Delicious Bits?
It's funny...on one of my trips, I promised my boyfriend (well, hubby now) that I would bring back something unique - ahem...kuih lapis that I picked up at the airport. Well, till this day I've maintained that the whole box of it disappeared mysteriously.

LK said...

I use pandan paste as well...I find that it can give off an eggy smell and is a little too fluorescent, but I still liked it in my pandan chffon cake. Here are the ingredients on the bottle (a bunch of chemicals): sorbitol, glycerin, gum arabic, food colour, natural & artificial flavours (VERY SUSPICIOUS!!!)
This is what I use - found it at a grocery store in Columbus: http://www.efooddepot.com/products/koepoe_hypen_koepoe/4695/pandan_paste_%28pewangi_aroma_pandan%29__hypen__1oz.html